Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 2, 5 hours

After today I really feel like the library is ready to be used! A group of kids came into the library for another regularly scheduled activity, and several of them are already asking for library cards and wondering when they can come in! I e-mailed the principal, P, and asked her to send the teachers an e-mail about the library that I composed. Hopefully we'll see some students next week!
Meanwhile, most of today was spent adding the donated books to the collection and organizing the last of the chapter books. I pulled out a large amount of books that aren't appropriate for most of the students here (books about high school and going to college, for example). At a loss with what to do with them, I just lined them up on top of the shelves alphabetically. I'll explain to the students that they should focus on the shelves below those, and the older young adult books can serve as a visual. I may need to expand to the other shelves on the other side of the room!
One of the issues I have, however, is that there are many duplicates and multiple copies of books. While this is not a problem, there isn't a lot of room for multiple copies. I'm not sure what to do with them at the moment, but I think I will end up stamping them and cataloging them after I go through the rest of the books and just filing them in the shelves that the students don't normally use, and keeping them as a spare.
Next week I will tackle the mess of picture books!

Total hours: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment