My first day at Brewer Porch Children's Center was anything but boring. I arrived to a library in a state of slight disarray, but nothing more than I would have expected from 4 months without a librarian. My first task was to gather all the books together so they are at least all in the same location. Only after doing this did I realize that I should have at least attempted to check in any books that may have been properly checked out. (Oops)
After that I decided to order the books in a manner that would be more age and learning appropriate for the students here at BPCC...by genre. This took up most of my time today, as I had to set aside books that were fantasy, sports fiction, historical fiction, non-fiction and mystery (just to name a few topics) and them alphabitize them on the shelves after that. I am very pleased with what I got done in what seemed like a few short hours, and I will hopefully be taking pictures next time to post.
Finally, I set aside a few books to promote as a "theme of the month" on a small rack by the door. I was actually inspired by several holiday books that are in the collection to do this. Though it's too early to do scary stories for Halloween, I decided on an animal theme for September.
It also took me a lot of frustration and most of the day to figure out how to catalog books and add them to the collection. Finally, just before I was due to leave I decided to try one more time...and this time I was successful! I even checked a few in that I knew were here, but were checked out in the computer. Success!
All in all I think the first day was a success, but I do still have progress to make. I need to email the teachers and work on setting up designated library time while I'm here, and I think I will decorate at least one of the boards with posters that I have been saving for the library here.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment